HOME REMEDIES FOR A HEADACHE.
Causes of a headache.
A headache can be caused by a number of reasons. They include;
- Foods or drinks that had been previously consumed like alcohol and processed foods.
- Skipped meals.
- Eye problems.
- Side effects of a consumed drug.
- Sleep changes, could be oversleeping or not getting enough sleep.
- Leisure activities like excess playing and even travelling.
- Dehydration and lastly,
- Evening headaches after having a tiring day.
TYPES OF HEADACHES.
However, there are different types of headaches and this result to different symptoms. To start with, there are;
- Normal headaches– They are also referred to as primary headaches. These are not serious; they are caused by changes in routine like sleep, meals and work. Examples of primary headaches are migraines and tension headaches. Most migraines pain on one side of the head, tension headaches on the other side pain on both sides of the head, and they are common to many people. Tension headaches only last for around 30 minutes and have a dull pain. However, migraines could last longer and they are also referred to as being chronic. Other types of headaches under primary headaches are: hypnic headaches, exertional headaches and cluster headaches.
- Secondary headaches– These headaches are caused by another cause in the body. They are symptoms of something else like an injury or overusing a drug. Examples of secondary headaches are: sinus headaches and menstrual headaches. Sinus headaches are caused by an infection or an allergy; these headaches are usually symptomized by a nasal discharge, yellow or thick green in color. Menstrual headaches are in women and they are linked to hormonal changes. Most of the menstrual headache symptoms are like those for a migraine. Other hormone related headaches are caused by pregnancies and contraceptives. Other types of secondary headaches are: head-injury headaches and caffeine-related headaches.
HOME REMEDIES FOR A HEADACHE.
There is always a solution to a headache, if you are having a headache, one that is not so intense, here are some of the remedies that you can do. Just at the comfort of your home.
- Drink water. Your headache will always need water; it could be dehydration or tiredness. You should always grab a glass of water every time you have a headache.
- Going to bed is yet another option when you have a headache, but if you feel it’s like a secondary headache, don’t just rush in bed. You should seek further help.
- Some yoga poses are believed to relieve headaches. It is the high time you get to have a few yoga poses that you can do when you feel the headache coming.
- Ginger tea. Ginger contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory substances that will help cease the pain. To relieve your headache, you can consume ginger roots or make some strong tea with it.
- Warm bath. Taking a warm shower and relaxing is also another remedy for headaches. It helps you to relax and reduces muscle pains that could have been the cause of your headache.
- Your headache could be as a result of skipping a meal, therefore, when you experience a headache you should also try grabbing something to eat.
- Essential oils. Peppermint and lavender oils really do play a big role to calm headaches. The scent from peppermint helps to open up clogged blood vessels which could be the cause of a headache. Lavender oil also alleviates headaches when inhaled.
Other remedies that help relieve headaches are;
- Using cinnamon,
- Limiting alcohol intake,
- Avoiding strong smells and
- Consuming some magnesium.
The above remedies are easy and can be tried anytime at home. However, if the pain exceeds, you should seek medical advice.