Originally posted on August 20, 2020 @ 1:14 pm
4 Ways to prevent lifestyle diseases using Ayurveda
Ayurveda is an ancient way of healing to manage and treat various lifestyle disorders and diseases. Lifestyle disorders don’t require medicines to treat the disease, all it needs is to create awareness in public to follow healthy lifestyle practices. A healthy person has a balanced hormonal function, enzymatic functions, metabolic functions, and excretory functions. When there is an imbalance in any of the function, it disturbs the body’s equilibrium and causes disorders and diseases.
Lifestyle diseases are the biggest challenges that every one of us is facing today. Though the lifestyle diseases are complex to cure but, it can be precluded when a healthy diet is supplemented to the body. Here, in this article, we discuss a few lifestyle diseases and the ways to prevent unhealthy lifestyle disorders using Ayurveda.
Lifestyle diseases: The scenario of getting lifestyle diseases brings drastic change in today’s world killing a million people every year. The major cause is due to unhealthy eating habits, lack of physical exercise, alcohol, smoking and chronic stress and all these can invite chronic diseases like:
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lack of sleep
- Poor posture
- Ulcers, GERD
Ways to prevent lifestyle diseases with Ayurveda:
Resolving lifestyle diseases using the conventional approach is not an easy chore. But treating diseases with ayurvedic approaches helps to ease the symptoms, prevent and manage chronic diseases. Let’s see a few lifestyle diseases and ways to prevent them from using Ayurveda.
Obesity: When you exceed your calorie intake your excess calories are stored in the body in the form of fat making you obese. Obesity can also be caused due to hormonal imbalance, lack of physical activity, genetic factors, and poor sleep. Here are a few ways to prevent falling under the radar of obesity:
- Diet: Include fibre rich foods and add herbs like amla, dry ginger powder, Cinnamon, Guduchi in your diet. This helps to burn your excess fat from the body.
- Herbs: Guggul is the natural cholesterol-lowering medicinal herb. It helps to increase the body’s metabolism and stimulates weight loss. You can also make guggul tea and drinking, this is an effective way to trim your extra fats from the body.
- Triphala (Mixing of three fruits) is a wonderful ayurvedic medicine to treat numerous disorders. It helps to stimulate the appetite, increases gastrointestinal health, boosts immunity, prevents constipation, and detoxifies and rejuvenates the body as a whole. Triphala churna (powder) is available in the market. You can order all your ayurvedic medicines from any trusted online medicine store in India.
- Punarnava is an amazing herb to remove toxins, reduces water retention and visceral fats from the body. Yes! You can buy punarnava tablets or powders from any online ayurvedic stores at your convenience.
- Yoga: Fight obesity and rebuild health naturally with a few yoga postures like warrior pose, upward plank pose, triangle pose, Twisted chair pose, pranayama, to name a few.
- Maintain a healthy weight by including a lot of fibre rich foods in your diet.
Diabetes: Diabetes is one of the chronic and epidemic diseases which take a toll on health. Excess glucose in the blood affects eyes, blood vessels, kidney, heart, and nervous system. A few ayurvedic herbs help to manage and prevent diabetes.
- Amla can regulate your blood glucose levels. Take amla supplements to treat, manage, and control diabetes.
- Taking Triphala regularly can prevent the onset of diabetes.
- Control sugar spikes with cinnamon powder. Prepare cinnamon tea or top your favourite dish with a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Curcumin in turmeric helps to prevent diabetes. Prepare turmeric tea or turmeric water to stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Add more physical activity and exercise as part of your daily routine regimen.
- Consume more vegetables in your diet. Avoid starchy foods and add more whole-grains in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated to manage blood sugar levels.
Cardiovascular disease: One of the leading causes of death worldwide is cardiovascular disease. Following certain ayurvedic principles may help to keep your cholesterol levels under control. Healthy and balanced lifestyle helps to maintain your heart health naturally.
- Proper hydration prevents clogging of arteries. Hence, always drink enough water ideal for your body weight and keep yourself well hydrated.
- Pick exercises like cycling, walking, and yoga in your daily routine. Trying to be active for at least 5 days a week is a healthy choice.
- Focus on whole and organic-based foods. Avoid processed, canned, and fried foods as it can lead to obesity.
- Include ayurvedic herbs like yashtimadhu, haritaki, pippali, arjuna, triphala, turmeric, cardamom to name a few for managing diseases. Also, garlic gained more importance as it helps to prevent atherosclerosis.
Hypertension: Environmental factors and genetics might be the culprit behind the cause of hypertension disease. It occurs when the force of the blood towards the artery walls flows too high; this causes hypertension. If the blood pressure shoots up above the normal range, immediate medical attention is required. Also, blood pressure can be managed with diet and exercise.
- Herbs such as garlic, ashwagandha, brahmi, Amla, drumstick leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger can help lower your blood pressure levels. Brahmi and ashwagandha capsules are available in all ayurvedic stores. Order your required ayurvedic products online from the best online pharmacy store in India.
- Cut back on your salt intake also, avoid processed foods
- Include foods rich in potassium such as bananas, nuts, seeds, beans, melons, tomatoes, potatoes, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Practice yoga, meditation, as well as deep breathing exercise to reduce your stress levels. Also, maintaining a healthy body weight is required to lower high blood pressure.
Ayurveda offers innumerable health benefits. It helps to treat numerous lifestyle disorders and diseases. Ayurveda approach helps to balance a state of equilibrium between mind, body, and consciousness. Managing a healthy lifestyle, including physical activity, having healthy sleep and following healthy diet helps to prevent and manage diseases. So, always better to tune your body with the environment and nature for a disease-free life!